Weather & What to Take
Southwest Costa Rica is characterized by a lowland tropical rainforest, which means a warm and humid climate, the ideal conditions for high levels of biodiversity.
A tropical rainforest climate has little to no seasonal variation. In Tiskita, temperatures average around 28 °C (82 °F) in the day and 20 °C (68 °F) at night. Humidity is high year-round. Tiskita receives an average of 3000 to 4000 millimeters (108 inches to 156 inches) of rain per year.
In the southwest of the country, the dry season is from December to April, when it is mostly dry and hot.
In Costa Rica, the wet months are referred to as the green season. In the southwest of the country, the green season starts in May with a rise in late afternoon rain showers.
June and July typically experience a relatively dry interval.
What to Take
Tiskita is remote, so it is best to come prepared. Punta Banco has a mini-supermarket, but it is very basic. In Pavones you can find a larger supermarket and a surf shop. The nearest bank is a two hour drive away.
Recommended items to take to Tiskita are:
- Camera and binoculars
- Hiking shoes/boots and sandals
- Waterproof plastic bags for gear
- Small daypack for hikes
- Reusable water bottle
- Lightweight clothing and rain gear
- Sunscreen with high SPF
- Sunglasses and sun hat
- Bathing suit
- Rash guard for ocean activities
- Water shoes for ocean activities
- Insect repellent and after bite (just in case)
- Travel insurance, personal medication
- Earplugs (e.g. in case of Howler Monkeys at night)
- Cash (colones or dollars) for drinks, souvenirs etc.